Welcome to LittleScallys.com

Nanny Position

Q: My employers say that because I’m a nanny I don’t need to pay tax and National Insurance. Is this true?
A: If you earn more than the current tax and NI thresholds (please refer to the rates and thresholds for current figures) it is your employer’s legal responsibility, not yours, to set up and operate a PAYE (Pay As You Earn) scheme on your behalf and to declare your wages with HMRC if they fail to do so they are breaking the lawQ: How do I know if my employer is paying my tax and National Insurance Contributions?
A: If you receive regular payslips this is usually a good indication that your employer is declaring your wages with HMRC. However, if you want to be absolutely certain then ask your employer for your PAYE reference number. If you want to apply for a loan or a mortgage your bank or building society often require this so you don’t have to feel uncomfortable asking your employer for it.Q: Do I qualify for sick pay?
 You are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you are sick for more than three consecutive days. Information on the current rate of SMP is available on our rates and thresholds page. SMP can be paid instead or as part of your normal rate of pay, at your employer’s discretion. Your employer may be able to reclaim some of the costs from the state. [read more]

Q: Do I qualify for holiday pay?

A: YesUp until recently all employees in the UK were entitled by law to 4 weeks paid leave every year. New holiday legislation has now been introduced and as of April 2009 all employers are required to give 8 bank holidays as paid leave in addition to the 4 weeks. That means that all employees will now be entitled to 5.6 weeks holiday per year.

If you work on a part-time basis and you want to know how many days you are entitled to, simply multiply the number of days you work each week with 5.6.

Q: Should my employer pay me for working on bank holidays?
A: 8 bank holidays must be given to you as paid days off (see above), although these musn’t necessarily be given on the actual bank holidays themselves. For one-off holidays, such as the Millennium or the Queen’s Jubilee you are entitled to a day’s paid holiday.

Q: Should I complete a tax return?
A: No, providing all your income comes from employment. However, if you are a live-in nanny and you own a flat or house, which you rent out, you do need to complete a tax return.

Q: I’m pregnant; do I qualify for maternity pay?
A: To qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) you have to have been employed for a minimum of 26 weeks (6 months) prior to the notification week, which is 15 weeks before the baby is due – basically this means that you can’t be pregnant when you start a new job. SMP is payable for a maximum period of 39 weeks. The first six weeks of SMP are at 9/10ths of your average gross weekly earnings and the remaining weeks of the maternity pay period (up to a maximum of 33 weeks) are paid at the current SMP rate, or continue at 9/10ths of the average gross earnings, whichever is the lower. Information on the current SMP rate is available on the rates and thresholds page. [read more]

Q: I’m going on maternity leave; can I bring my baby with me when I return to work?
A: This is at your employer’s discretion. You have a right to return to work following maternity leave, but only on the same terms as you were previously employed.

Q: The children I look after are now attending school full-time and my employer no longer has a job for me. Do I qualify for redundancy pay?
A: If you have been in continuous employment for two years or more and you are over 18 you are entitled to redundancy pay – providing you are not on a fixed-term contract. You would also qualify for redundancy pay if the family you work for moves to a different part of the country, providing there is no relocation clause in your contract. [read more]

Q: Do I need insurance?
A: It is not a requirement, however you may wish to consider this option in order to protect yourself. If you intend to become registered with Ofsted, then you will need to have public liability insurance. Please contact Nannyinsure for more information.

One Response

  • katarina sipkova says:

    Hello there,

    I am looking for a live in nanny position asap.If you have any family available please let me know.I have lots of childcare experience and peadiatric first aid certificate and crb check.

    Kind regards

Leave a Reply